The Authority was established in 2007 to regulate, supervise and develop the insurance industry. In the 10 years that it has been in operation, the Authority has achieved many milestones. Some of these include;
- Adoption of Risk Based Supervision Model
- Attaining ISO 9001:2008 certification
- Introduction of the Electronic Regulatory System
- Establishment of the Actuarial Scholarship Programme
- Establishment of the Insurance Fraud Investigation Unit
- Signing of various MoUs with regional insurance supervisors
- Online registration and licensing of intermediaries and service providers
- Standardization of insurance policy wordings for 14 classes of business
- CSR engagements
- Introduction of consumer education
- Agency growth in counties (through the ECOP programme)
- Training of Insurance Champions
- Signing MoU with KICD to develop a curriculum on financial education
- Issuance of various guidelines to the insurance industry.
The 10th anniversary certainly offers a unique opportunity to celebrate the achievements realized within the decade. It is also a time to reflect on the Authority’s journey over the last 10 years.